Typical of central Italy, Passerina is a very versatile vine, with a compact cluster and large berries that give rise to a floral and fresh wine.
Passerina can be vinified both as a singular variety and as a blended wine.

The Identity Card of Offida DOCG Passerina

The ampelographic card is a  botanist classification tool for a grape variety that contains name and synonyms, genetic history, morphology, vegetative and cultural characteristics, use and economic importance. This card identifies Passerina as belonging to the Trebbiano family.

The main characteristics are a medium leaf, large and medium compact bunches with large and spheroidal berries and a thick yellow skin.

According to the Offida DOCG Passerina specification for wine, the minimum percentage allowed for Passerina is 85% and the remaining 15% must be composed of non-aromatic white grape varieties suitable for cultivation in the Marche region.

The Characteristics of Offida DOCG Passerina Wines

Straw yellow in color, with yellowish reflections, there are notes of yellow fruit and citrus scents on the nose and is fresh and savory on the palate with a long finish.

In one sip

Passerina is a versatile grape that in addition to giving freshness to blends of white wines, or vinified alone, can be transformed into sparkling wine or Passito.

The studies and experiments carried out in the 1980s by the Cantina Tenuta Cocci Grifoni, and other enlightened Piceni producers, came to imagine an excellent yield of the Passerina grape in the sparkling process and in the production of Vin Santo and Passito.

With an important acidic component, the Passerina grapes produce a sparkling wine of immediate pleasure, floral on the nose and fruity and delicately persistent in the mouth.

In its best expressions, the sparkling wine from Passerina grapes combine freshness and harmony, complex charged and delicate aromas, giving a Mediterranean bubble capable of intrigue with its elegance and tasting persistence.

Due to its characteristics, Passerina also lends itself to becoming a Passito wine, an ancient technique known by the Greeks.

The drying process of carefully selected native grapes is a partial dehydration process that allows for a wine with a higher concentration of colors, aromas and flavors. The grapes selected for drying must be completely healthy and the bunch not too compact.

Definitions of this vine


In wine, acids are important components. They are responsible for the characteristic sensation of bright freshness on the palate, typical of white and sparkling wines.


Refers to the botanist classification and description of different species and varieties of vine. It groups the biological criteria together while allowing for the identification of each cultivar.


Wines designated by the Italian Denominazione di Origine Controllata (Controlled Designation of Origin) that have distinctive characteristics of superior quality, determined by the grape variety and the area of ​​production, as well as by the processing and aging techniques.


Wines designated by the Italian Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita (Controlled and Guaranteed Designation of Origin) that are subjected to stricter rules than the DOC wines and that have been recognized for five years as a DOC wine.


Wines designated by the Italian Indicazione Geografica Tipica (Typical Geographical Identification) to define a geographical name of an area.


An insect pest of American origin that arrived in Europe in the second half of the 1800s and spread to all vineyards. It causes damage at the root level with the formation of knotty galls and then a consequent loss of water absorption capacity at the leaf level. The infection appears silently until you notice that the plants begin to die.


A fungal disease, similar to mildew, that makes the leaves on the vine brittle and then attacks the bunches preventing the berries from ripening.

Scroll to Top